LIBRARY DISPLAY POSTER PROJECT

LIBRARY DISPLAY
Over the last few months I have worked with several members of the library team to help create four displays of my students' work!  Everyone has been so supportive - including the Associate Vice-President of Teaching and Learning, my Chair, the library staff, my students, and several members of my department.  It has been an inspirational experience.  Here are some images of the Poster Project and the Student Slide Show. 

POSTER PROJECT
WHAT I DO:
In all of my first year undergraduate classes I assign my POSTER PROJECT assignment as a way to engage my students at the higher levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy. I always find this assignment rewarding for my students. It offers a helpful way to study, a different type of assignment, a way to engage visual learners, and I am usually surprised by their work.  I sometimes have them work in groups of two or three. This Poster Project is not about replicating movie posters - the students know that the images they use should be original and thoughtful.  

On top of that, the goal of my POSTER PROJECT is expressing, through words and visuals, how a work of literature or a famous trial relates to the work of philosophy that the students have been working on for one month prior to the assignment. This assignment goes along with a DILEMMA ONE SHEET assignment and the accompanying Slide Show (see below).

It took several years to develop this assignment which was only a small percentage of their grade, at first, but now is worth 10%. The assignment has progressed a great deal since then. I find that a rubric and examples are very helpful to the students. Here are some examples:

This project usually goes along with creating a slide show presentation and either creating a DILEMMA ONE SHEET or working on one of my Dilemmas.

STUDENT SLIDE SHOW
The Student Slide Show consists of taking information from their DILEMMA ONE SHEETS and adding images. I have a blog post on DILEMMA ONE SHEETS. The One Sheets the students create are similar to mine. The students must create an ethical question or dilemma and then narrow the focus of the trial or work of literature to reflect this dilemma. This process forces students to reflect upon the material from a specific perspective - it helps guide their work - they must be concise! On top of this, my students must relate the dilemma to a work of philosophy - the material used is either a section of a text or a shorter work. For instance, part of a Platonic dialogue or a shorter dialogue. They have studied the work for a month before they tackle these assignments. The assignment below is comparing the Theaetetus to A Scanner Darkly.

Thank you to everyone involved in this wonderful adventure - including TpT. I would never have created these assignments without TpT. Before TpT the thought of spending even more time and energy creating and developing new assignments for my students was overwhelming. To make ends meet as a lecturer I needed part time work and could not spare the extra time creating assignments as I was already stretched thin with marking and lecture prep. I found that teaching philosophy to first year undergraduates was frustrating and not as rewarding as I hoped - to my students or to me. I happened across TpT during an online search for unique and unusual ways to teach philosophy. I saw the creativity and original ideas that were created for High School students on TpT, but I could not find what I was looking for, so I thought I should create them myself.  Starting on TpT made sense and now my part time job directly benefits my students!  I have consulted with several sellers over the years and have worked hard to create my own products geared towards High School, College, and University students.
  



Thanks for visiting,
Linda Jennifer





1 comment