I JUST GOT MY DREAM JOB AS A UNIVERSITY LECTURER - NOW WHAT?





I just got my dream job as a university lecturer - now what?


Tip #4
DEVELOP YOUR OWN ASSIGNMENTS PART TWO


When I started teaching at my current university I was struggling to fit in.  I was doing my best to recreate my own university experience, but I was in a very different environment.   

I teach liberal education to first and second year students.  My students generally have no idea why they should be studying philosophy or poetry or literature when their Major is in Business or Accounting.  They understand it is supposed to make their education "well rounded" but honestly most of them don't really understand how or why.  

Not only was I asking students to read “old books written by white men,” my reading requirements were daunting and so were my assignments.  They were asked to read too many pages of philosophy and write three essays and two exams. It was a disaster! Not only was I drowning in marking, my students complained about the amount of reading and writing they had to do.  After one terrible semester, I realized this model was not sustainable nor desirable.  

My office is full of my students' creations!!! Here are some examples of INTERPRETIVE NOTE-TAKING, POSTER PROJECT, and IT'S THE QUESTION.



Thanks for visiting!!


No comments